What Could Have Been…
Call it pheromones or something else but I can tell there is another lonely heart out there. I should probably get out there and do something about it but I’ve been burned and I think I’ll sit this one out. Sight unseen I can tell she’s a looker and she’ll do alright. Probably hook up with some clown boasting about his portfolio or 401K only to dangle it out there like some afterlife promise and snare her in the bear-trap of future security. But I would never have let it get to that…there wouldn’t be any portfolio because we would have burned it up like rocket fuel as soon as it came in since I would have already told her humanity was doomed long before we even got here.
Oh, he’ll be quite proud of himself when he saved a dollar booking their vacation eight weeks in advance at the Best Western five mile outside of town when we would have rolled in unannounced and had the best place within five minutes and tore the city to shreds within ten.
Maybe once a year he’ll let her pick out some clothes at Macy’s and buy her a stainless refrigerator that she’ll have to love for a decade when I would have bought her houses and disposable automobiles that we would have run off of cliffs for amusement after we grew tired of them.
He’ll probably emulate every kooky character on TV while she plays along because neither would admit that’s what they were really doing, And as they were gearing up for their golden years by planning for a future that has already come and gone we would have been in contest seeing who could be most inventive and caustic at destroying the relationship.
And in their dying moments when they speak tenderly to each other we could have expressed our mutual regrets and disappointments.
Ah, what could have been…poor girl could have had it all if only I showed some initiative, though, I shall dream sweetly of her tonight.
No comments:
Post a Comment