Like Button

Friday, May 18, 2012

In Recognition of Jacqueline Sanders.

In Recognition of Jacqueline Sanders.


     Mother’s day has come and gone and while driving to work I realized that I hadn’t written anything about my Mother, Step-Mother, wife or any other special Mother who is in my life. But since everyone usually writes some sort of tribute to their Mother, I thought I would write about someone who isn’t a Mother yet and how one little act of kindness made an impact on my life. That person is Jacqueline Sanders.
     This saga begins way back in the fall of 1984. Without much fanfare, my family sent me off to college after I graduated High School. My father and step mother footed the bill and my mother had high hopes for me although she was unable to contribute because she was a social worker and didn’t have much money (My father and Step-mother hadn’t hit it big yet so paying for my school was a hardship that they lovingly endured).
     So I head off to college with everything paid for (car, dorm room, meal-plan, books and spending money: Every serious student’s dream) and promptly failed every class I took with the exception of a D in freshman comp. My father and step-mother were disappointed but my mother was broken hearted. She had always valued education and it was a dream of hers that both of her children graduate college. My older sister had graduated the University of Oklahoma the year before. Note: My Mother received her Bachelor’s degree in her 20’s and her Masters of Information Science in her 50’s.
     My father took a hard stance and sent me packing to the working world and let me flounder there for a couple of years before sending me off to trade school. Trade school was the best option for me as I was not focused enough for university studies. Fast forward 12 years and I found myself reasonably successful as an industrial electrician but down inside; I still felt like I had disappointed my family (my Mother in particular).
     At 35 years old, I still couldn’t shake this feeling of disappointment I had imagined from my family so I decided to take matters in my own hands. I enrolled in Community college and began the arduous task of getting a degree. It took me almost 5 years to complete the 2 year requirements for an associate’s degree (I know 5 years seems a long time but I was working full time and trying to support a family). My family was supportive and my mother was always interested in my classes and insisted I send her my school papers for her to read.
     So now I was ready for the university. I didn’t’ put much thought into a major; I simply asked myself what classes did I do the best in and what did I enjoy the most. The answer was English (that answer was pivotal as it put me in trajectory with the heroine of our story). I was just a few months shy of 40 when I enrolled at the University of Houston-Downtown. It was summer 2006 and I had just started my classes when I received word that my Mother had been diagnosed with colon cancer. I knew I couldn’t draw this out for 5 more years so I increased my course load. I was in a race against time. I could never live with myself if my Mother died before I graduated.
     As my coursework progressed so did the cancer that was killing my Mother. I had managed to complete my coursework by the 2nd summer session 2008 with the exception of one more class: Dr. Joe’s Contemporary Literature class. I was home free. I knew my Mother could make it another 6 weeks but I wasn’t sure about much more past that.
     So here I go. I showed up at school the first day of class and took the elevator to the 4th floor and marched down the hallway with an air of confidence knowing that my quest would soon be over and that soon, I will have regained my families honor and fulfilled my Mothers dying wishes. Imagine my disappointment, when I opened the door to the class, to find there were only 4 students including myself. I asked Dr. Joe if the class was going to make and he told me that it needed at least 5 students for the University to keep it open. I was in full panic mode. I didn’t know what to do. (Enter Jackie Sanders) I called my friend Jackie and told her I needed a favor and asked her to take the class. Jackie had already finished her graduation requirements in the first summer session and had, in effect; already graduated (I did not tell Jackie why this class was so critical to me as I usually can’t tolerate hard-luck or sympathy stories). So what did Jackie do? She signed up for the class (And on at least one occasion, she brought sardines to class and her rat a couple of times after that). The class made and I completed my graduation requirements on August, 7 2008 at 9:45 A.M. (I remember this because I wrote it down). I got to my car after class and called my Mom. She was overjoyed and we both ended up bawling together over the phone.
     My Mother died 10 months later and was able to come to my graduation. One could argue that if the class didn’t make I could have simply taken one in the fall and that everything would be alright. But it’s not that simple and, given the uncertainty that cancer deals, nobody knew. So with that I extend my undying gratitude to Jackie Sanders. I Love You Jackie…Happy Mother’s Day. 
    


                                          Mom before the cancer.
                                          Uncle Gary and Aunt Francie.
                                         Mom in her last months. (In pain but still a sport)
                                         Step-Daughter and Nieces.
                                             Dad and Step-Mom.
                                          Wife and Sister-in-Law.
                                         Sister and Brother-in-Law.
                                         Mother and father-in-Law.
                                         Cousin Sam.
                                         Libby and Claire.

Cousin Nancy and Husband Chris.

                 Freda Duckworth-Hunsaker-Christopher 1942-2009

No comments:

Post a Comment